Monday, July 21, 2008

Piano

I bought an electric piano last Saturday. An impulsive purchase after feeling satisfied that some work tasks were completed on a weekend. I spent nearly 2 hours at Sam Ash trying out the different sub-$1000 models. If I had a budget, it would not have been more than $800. Thankfully, making a decision was easy as the more expensive ones were meant for studio work with much more complicated functionalities. I don't want to add more complexities to my life. There's already enough from what I do for a living.

The piano is Yamaha P-85 with heavy weight keys. Minimal functionalities as my concern was more on the sound and the weighted keys. It cost $599 but after taxes and the stand, the damage almost reached $700. A friend was around which helped as the piano did not fit the cab. We actually hauled the piano and the stand on two subway rides and endured many stares to the life-size box that I was carrying.



This is one personal item that my parents, especially my dad, would encourage me to buy. I have not played for nearly a year and my fingers have been rusty (only for this purpose *wink). Part of the inspiration to pick up the piano again is the music at the evening masses at a Franciscan church that I regularly attend. The hymns are written by composers of contemporary Catholic hymns such as Marty Haugen, Paul Tate and David Haas. Now you know, you don't have to rely on Hill Songs or Don Moen for modern Christian songs anymore.

2 comments:

Stella said...

U sure the piano is purely to flex those rusty fingers? :)
Have fun tho I am still surprised that the impulsive buying for boys would include a piano! :)
PS: KL is hot!

CABallero said...

Don't you use gender stereotypes to limit my purchasing power! I want to be a rock star on YouTube.

PS: New York is hot too. The subway stops really feels like an ovens. I wish they are air conditioned like HK's.