Thursday, November 20, 2008

Layoffs

We received an internal memo informing that layoffs will be carried out this week. The firm has a solid reputation on the street but nevertheless, this is an entire economy on a downturn - not a particular company not a sector. I am blessed to not be affected but the experience was a first and very surreal for me. I no longer see colleagues' names that were there on the company's directory last week. I saw empty desks as I walked around the floor. Teams were called to conference rooms and briefed by their MDs.

Wall Street layoff/firing typically goes like this:

- HR calls you to a conference room
- They tell you that you have to be let go and the severance pay that you'll get
- You can't get back to your desk. Not even to pick your jacket or personal belongings.

0 comments: