Thursday, March 5, 2009

State of the Body

I had a blood test at Gribbles last week after 5 years of not having one. Cholesterol and sugar levels are on the high side. Received a terrible scolding from my mom. "Do you understand what it means to have high cholesterol?!" I blame it on reckless lifestyle I had in terms on what I ate. Huge portions and corn syrup in almost every sweet food. KFC and McDonald's were just across the street from the apartment where I lived. There was also this hispanic take out that serves the best roasted pork leg on yellow rice.

Hopefully the current Lenten diet will bring the numbers down.

I took some sort of a urea test together with the blood test for which I had to pee into a little cup with my name on it. The lab technician simply instructed me to do so in the dingy toilet at the back on the lab.

Perhaps it wasn't a drug test but still I was expecting a little more strictness. Before I joined my former exployer for full time, I had to take a drug test just like any new hire. The technician who administered me was a stern-looking African American lady. The toilet was right in the middle of the lab. It was specifically built for collection of urine samples and not for the staff or visitors to take a dump in. She warned me not to wash my hands or flush the toilet before giving her my warm little cup of beer-colored pee. She even turned off the water supply to the toilet.

Actually, I was quite anxious to get the results. Hehe.

0 comments: