Sunday, June 15, 2008

Chikalicious


I have been waiting for a long time to visit this famous dessert bar located 4 blocks down where I live. Chika is the Japanese pastry chef who runs the place. Perhaps her male assistant is called licious. I went there on a Sunday afternoon when it was empty. This bar has a 4-person party size limit and there's always a line at night.

The menu differs every day. For a prix fixe price of $12, you get a 3-course dessert "meal" where you get to choose the second course. The serving size is small but they were prepared elegantly in front of you by Chika herself. Add another $7 and you'll get the a glass of fortified wine selected to be paired with your main dessert.

One to note is the music being played. I asked the host for the title. It's actually a compilation of jazz pieces mainly from John Coltrane's rehearsal thus not available out there for purchase.

Such restaurants inspires one someday - a small kolok/kampua bar like ramen bars. It won't be a messy kitchen greased by lard.


Chika preparing my dessert - I have no recollection of the what the name was.






Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Stella said...

I have been told time and time again that I 'must not eat dessert before my mains' ... Thank you for telling me that a 3 course meal consists of dessert-dessert-dessert in that order! :)