Monday, February 2, 2009

Steelers Did It Again



Photo by NY Times

With this win, the Steelers is the best team in NFL history. Six Superbowl titles in 7 appearances. Last night's last two minutes is epic with the lead changing hands twice.

How did I become a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers? Four years at CMU in Pittsburgh. Anyone who had spent time in Pittsburgh, even as a foreign student, would in one way or another be a Steelers fan. Steelers Nation is not bounded within the city of Pittsburgh but across America and throughout the world. The fans travel well too.

I argued with my dad who does not think American Football is not a real sport with all the technicalities and safety gear. He prefers rugby.

In its defence:

- AF is very much about team work. There is little opportunity to show off one's skill unlike dribbling in soccer.
- Like other American sports such as basketball, baseball and hockey, American football is filled with technicalities. The commentaries are heavy with statistics.
- AF players do not live the celebrity lives of the soccer players in Europe. There is no TV show on AF players' wives.

I was in my junior year when we won the Superbowl in 2006. I remembered as soon as the game ended everybody poured into the streets which in turn developed into what I call mini-riots in different parts of the city. I am sure last night was similar, if not worse.

0 comments: