Tuesday, February 14, 2006

DRW Trading is awesome. It does only proprietry trading which means it only manages the funds of its extremely owners or partners. Crazy. The guy who interviewed me was pretty cool. He looks more like a software developer but he's in fact a quantitative researcher.

My brain teaser question is crazy but I manage to come up with the solution at the end:

- Given ten buckets. 9 buckets are filled with an infinite amount of stones weighing 1 gram each.
- The other bucket is filled with an infinite amount of stones weighing 1.1 gram each.
- Given a chemistry lab weighing machine, develop a method to identify which bucket has the 1.1 gram stones.
- Can only use the scale once. Gather all the stones you need anad press "weight" once.

Got stuck and he told me to scale it down to 3 buckets. I managed to solve it.

Then he asked me to come up with a solution for the case there could be more than one bucket with the 1.1 gram stones.

Solved it too using a sequence of base 2 numbers.

It is very cool to be rich one day and employ a bunch of geniuses to manage your money like a hedge fund do. Sounds fictional but firms like DRW do exist!

0 comments: