Saturday, February 11, 2006

* this entry is not a mere tell-my-friends-what-did but for a future reference. pretty much like a diary except that it is not secretive.

A hard-earned day of rest after a busy and tiring week.

Tuesday - had a Citigroup interview rescheduled. I was the second candidate for the day and I was only told about it when I was five minutes from the scheduled slot time.

Wednesday - flew out on a morning flight to NYC for a superday with Credit Suisse for a position as a Summer Tech Analyst. Lost my suit jacket's top button as I walked into my apartment's elevator. Tried fixing it with a safety pin bought from a pharmacy on CS's building but wouldn't work. The superday was very structured with more candidates than mine at Bofa. Had a group exercise with people with from UPenn and other colleges. I was the only undergrad candidate from CMU that day. The rest were grad students in the MISM program. Then, there were three one-to-one interviews. Had a tour of CS's office in NYC. Three buildings joined by sky bridges. The place has a gymn (normal), a barber shop, postal office, grocery store and laundry. CS employees can even live from the cubible all week. Tech at CS is less trading-involved as the Bofa position but there's opportunity for travel. A CMU grad who just joined CS Tech last year has already travelled to London 3 times and Zurich ones in the past year. His boss is in NYC while his director is in London. The 2005 tech associates who brought us around are very friendly. There was this new hire Cooper Union guy who even hailed a cab for us to get to the airport. Even the new hire at Bofa was also very friendly during the trading floor tour. I guess they felt what we feel as college was not very far in the past for them. I got back to Pittsburgh with three other MISM guys I made friends with. Tired, I almost slept in my suit. Btw, the flight to NYC cost CS over $900 which is enough to get me a return flight to Malaysia.

Thursday - EOC (career job fair) but nothing much. Investment banks and other reputed tech and wall st. firms have started their summer recruits search earlier in the year.

Friday
- interviewed with Barclays Capital and Yahoo!. For Barcaps, it was for an i-banking position, my first and only ibanking interview so far. Two associates and they really impressed me from the way they talked and dressed. Yahoo! was pretty casual with this lady giving me one a tough programming question involving getting values from random positions in a list. Sounds easy but with a list that you can only reset once and only a next function and also a random number generator that takes no bounds as arguments, it was really a code to write. My interviewer even wanted me to come up with solutions that provide some kind of distribution. Sweat my way through but managed to solve with some hints from her. I felt solving the problem was very funny as an experience that I held myself from laughing as she explained life at Yahoo! to me.

next week...
Monday - Goldman Sachs for Technology
Tuesday - DRW Trading for Technology
Wednesday - Citigroup for Quantitative Trading

0 comments: