Friday, July 30, 2004

Another cycle of week ends and of course, it's weekend.



For the past few nights I've been watching the Democratic National Convention on TV. One thing that this event attracted me is watching the speeches made by all the politicians. Bill Clinton gave the first night's addresswhich many said proved that he is still capable for being a president. I wonder what is he doing after his presidency. 54 when he retired. That's not the age for retirement. I bet many of his classmates or peers would still be working their asses off. The presidency is the pinnacle of all jobs. Is there anything greater than being a President?



On the second night, the key speaker was Pittsburgh's own Teresa Heinz, the widow of the late John Heinz III who is also Mrs. Kerry. She seemed to have this air of a royalty from the way she carried herself on the stage. Much like a queen in fact. Palms crossed on her chest as she thanked the crowd. I would like to see her as First Lady. If John Kerry's moving into the White House next January, she'll be the first First Lady to be born not as an American. It's good for Pittsburghers too. Perhaps when John Kerry is President, both of them will visit Pittsburgh often. Her late husband was the sole heir to the Heinz ketchup empire. If you come to Pittsburgh, the legacy of the Heinz family is everywhere. Just across the road from my apartment is the Heinz Chapel. I've never been inside but I read that it was modeled after some Gothic French basillica. Then, it's CMU's Heinz School of Policy Management. John Heinz briefly taught here before. There's the Heinz field which is Pittsburgh's major stadium.



I did not watch John Edward's speech last night but I think Kenneth did. Not particularly interested.



Tonight was John Kerry's turn to give the final speech of the convention. It was the usual politician's campaigning speech filled with "I will"s. But the air of the convention center was if John Kerry has won the election. People were cheering and congratulating Kerry and Edwards. Balloons showered the whole place. It's amazing how they staged this convention. Much more gempak that a rock concert.



I just hope Kerry wins so that another Bill Clinton would helped to make jobs and give some government support to healthcare.



wtf are these comments on American politics..hahaha

0 comments: