Saturday, February 7, 2004

I'm really freaking tired right now. I never imagine I had survived the week of sleeping at 5am or later. The experimental physics (33-104) is becoming a taxing course for me this semester. For example, the previous notebook I handed took me two days to finish. I did nothing else but finishing it since Tuesday night. Even missed Wednesday's Calculus 2 and Physics 2 lectures. What troubles me more is the level of competition in my lab class. Compared any of lectures, this is the course where most of the students are the competitive ones. Physics majors are there too and it's more or less true that physics majors are a breed of people who a step higher than average cmu students. Just listen how we weep on our physics sequences and swore that we would never do college physics.



Earlier today, I promised myself that I would spend tonight, Friday night, doing my next lab notebook which is due the Thursday after next. However, to my disappointment, I spent the evening watching Cadet Kelly. It's a film that stars the young Hilary Duff. I came to watch it by accident. I was browsing the channels on cable and stumbled upon this cute little actress in Disney's Channel.



I must admit that she's really cute when she's younger. She was not that beautiful or gorgeous but Hilary seems to have this hilarious character. I'm not sure whether she's really the girl I saw in that movie in real life. Lizzie McQuire gives me the same impression on her.



I've been taking Jazz Piano I for non-music majors with John D'Amico. A class of 5 which charges an extra $485 to my student account this semester. Lots of stuff I had learned since the past 4 lessons. Yesterday was a particularly new thing to me - ii-v-i chord progressions. John didn't tell us what scale to improvise on Autum Leaves so I went up and played only in G minor. He forgot to mention about 2-5-1 until he explained after I played. Cm7, F7, BMajor7 are the 2nd, 5th and 1st chords under the BbMajor scale. So, in that 3-chord sequence, I must play in that scale. EbMajor follows suit but that stands by itself as some sort of a bridge to the next trio of chords. The next 3 chords after EbMajor is Am7, D7 and Gm7 which are the 2-5-1 chords for Gm7. I haven't improvised on yet except this afternoon when I was playing for a while on the Mudge piano.



By the way, Autum Leaves is such a beautiful song to play. The feeling of playing in 7th chords are much more satisfying than playing only in majors and minor like in Pop. I've been listening to various versions of the song by jazz artists lately and concluded, the tempo can be of all sorts - latin, swing, etc.



I'm really tempted to go back back during after taking Summer Session 1. I emailed the rest of the freshmen who plan to go back and asked whether they are interested in stopping over in europe for 3/4 days. The replies seems not to be encouraging. I spent the evening the browsing for flight tickets during the summer so I guess I failed to keep up to my promise at the beginning of the day.



Anyway, there's 2 or 3 more hours before my eyes becomes heavy. Here I go..

0 comments: