Monday, June 14, 2004

Despite 2 cups of coffee, I still feel sluggish for another round of concepts revision. Two more weeks of this dreadful first summer session and then I'm done. But there would only be a weekend for rest until the second session starts.



Max arrived this morning 1 1/2 hours late. It can be guaranteed that Amtrak trains never arrive on time. Even on short journeys. I remember going to Boston from NYC last winter. The train was 30 minutes late and that 30 minutes provided a Singaporen conman a chance to ask me for money. He approached me saying that he needs me to return to Boston because he lost his backpack. Initially, he spoke Chinese and within seconds I told that I'm not. "You Malaysian? Oh, good, good. I'm from Singapore. You know Sandakan? I have sister in sandakan?" Ok, that sounds genuine. Imagine someone telling you the name of a Sabahan town in the middle of Penn Station, NYC. I wanted to give him 8 bucks until he said he needed $18. Wtf. He just said he needed $8. So, I told him that I don't have that much cash. He kept on begging like a small kid holding his pee. I gave a few rather strong No's and he soon left. Oh ya, another funny incident happened then too. There was a punk girl walking around showing her middle finger to us travellers.



...



My friends have been telling me not to drink too much coffee lately. I thought 3 cups a day was bad enough until Max and Leong Sing came here. Both of them have been drinking coffee from my coffee maker for the whole evening as if it's like water or cordial drinks. Yes, there are still drinking right now as they watched anime. I'm glad that there are people who are much addicted than I do.



I realized that Max and Leong Sing have much more social life than I do here. I do not have the typical American dorm life. I hardly go around Pittsburgh. It has always been either home, campus or Squirell Hill. I wish U. of Chicago has a renown comp engineering department or at least, an engineering school but they don't. I would transfer there if they do.



I'm thinking of going to Chicago for the 4th of July holiday weekend. $140 for a round trip to Chicago on U.S. Airways. I'm not sure whether I should spend that amount of money to visit the Windy City.

0 comments: