Sunday, June 13, 2004

Leong Sing arrived via flight from Chicago this morning. So, Kenneth and I picked him up. Never seen Pittsburgh this quiet during the day although I would consider it to be a quiet city generally. We went to strip district to buy groceries as our supplies of soy sauce, minced garlic, bee hoon etc. had ran out. I discovered that the strip is actually bustling on Saturday mornings.



It was an atmosphere 10 times better than going to a shopping mall which the girl friends of mine love to go to during any free time (sigh). The Strip today had lots of street vendors selling rather cheap goods like souvenir t-shirts and pastries. The scene was somewhat similar to Notting Hill's I guess. I was really taken by surprise because all along I though the Strip is just another quiet part of a city with a declining population. I just wish Pittsburgh is as vibrant as New York. It's a sad thing to note that in the 1940s Pittsburgh population was over 600 000 and today it's merely above 300 000. Thanks to the closing of the major steel mills the city no longer attracts job seekers. In fact, this city seems to me a retiring place for old people.



NYC is an awesome city to visit. 12 days there during winter was amazing despite the cold. It didn't take me long to familiarize myself with the street system in Manhattan and the subway. The island was so full of people. I doubt the city will be declining in population. It has never depended on any mining industry. What kept NYC alive as it was 150 years ago is its financial district and continuation of the influx of immigrants. I wish I can return there again this summer. Maybe to enjoy the streets and avenues without the hindrance of chilly weather. Tasneem couldn't agree more on how great the city is.



We watched Harry Porter today, a week after its release. It was much better than the previous two.

0 comments: