Friday, May 14, 2004

She's gone for the summer



Another holiday spent shopping. Without a car, nothing much can be done in Pittsburgh although bus rides for us college students are free. The only reasonable places to visit are the shopping mallls and no clothes were at the reasonable price range for me to buy. Yesterday was Monroeville while today's waterfront. The Punisher that we watched was a good one I think. A Marvel comic turned movie. Thomas Jane looks like Hugh Jackman and for a while I thought I was watching another Daredevil or X-Men. Lots of smart moves by The Punisher. I like what he did to frame Howard Saint's wife and his right hand man.



I think I got into a near-death incident this evening. Irwan, Kenneth and I were cooking dinner for 11 people. The fried chicken was not really cooked so Irwan threw them back into the pan of oil. When we though the chicken was done, I took one out and quickly cut a small piece of chicken and shove into my hungry mouth. The chicken was just out of the boiling pot of cooking oil so you can guess roughly the temperature when oil has a higher boiling temperature than water and its bigger heat capacity. It did not feel that hot first, chewed once and decided that it's cooked. I swalled the piece. Next thing I could feel was a buildup of heat along my esofagus. I though it's the normal heat thing that I used to get from eating food that was just out of pot. My chest became hotter and hotter. I knew something was going wrong so I quickly opened the refrigerator and looked for something cold to drink. There was no pitcher of cold water in sight. Neither there were my usual supplies of mineral water from excess meal blocks. The only thing I could think of then was a half-full bottle of juice. I have no idea who it belongs to. Either Irwan's, Kenneth's or Diong's. Drinking it really helped. There was an immediate cooling effect. The juice was nice too so I drank till the last drop. Sheeshh...I could have just drank from the kitchen tap but I guess I was panicking that I couldn't think properly then. I just wonder what would happen if I didn't do anything. My esofagus might have punctured due to the excessive heat that are killing the cell walls. Hey, doctors and doctor wannabes who are reading this, please give some comments on what might happen if such thing happen and nothing is done to cool down my body.



The Computer Science Help Desk did an extraordinary for me today. They are giving me a 19" SGI monitor with 13W3 plugin. This will help me start that SGI Indy workstation that I got for free on Monday. Can't wait to cart it back tomorrow!

1 comments:

Shopping in Delhi said...

Great post I must say.. Simple but yet entertaining and engaging.. Keep up the good work!