Wednesday, April 28, 2004

I was so tense before the 3rd 15-111 Exam today that I practically couldn't smile or be cheerful anytime before 11.30am. It went okay I guess. I just hope my code doesn't fail me.


The main event of the day for me was the Chemical Boat race held at the Fence. Sunny day today and the weather was cool. I like it. There was quite a crowd of Chemical Engineering undergraduates witnessing us freshmen racing our Styrofoam boats.

The length was 45 ft. 0 load.

Ours went like this: our first try was only 33 ft and we believe that the bottle was not shaken very well. The jet went slow. I panicked of course. So, on our second try, we made sure the bottle was shaken really well till white foam was seen inside the tube. It really went faster than any other competing boats but we lacked the amount of liquid so it stoped at 40 ft. It was really a boost of confidence and on our third try, we added an 50 mL of acid. It didn't went further. 39.8 ft I think.

Anyway, we were glad that it went striaght. To tell the truth, we were more worried on it not going straight than the amount of chemicals needed. Calvin's group was the winner and they deserve it after all their effort. We worked hard too but not as hard Calvin's. Anyway, glad that it was over. The race was more memorable than my Mech E race last year. Designing a boat is much easier than a car definitely.

0 comments: