Monday, April 26, 2004

Lucky for me to have to go out and send the F.C.E. for Prof. McElfresh. I realized that it's chilly outside and I need get a jacket for the outdoor testing of chem boat.



Went to mIRC for the first time in like...a year? Met my second cousin Fabian @ #iban. We've not met for around 5 years I think. Maybe more. I updated me with his current life in UPM Bintulu and on his cousin Freddy. Told me he has a gf so chun that he's jealous. Haha. We spoke Iban on text which is kinda awkward at first. My spoken Iban sucks coz I tend to stammer in that language. I think my brother's and sister's mastery of the language is better than mine. Partly because they have more Iban friends in school and they speak Iban with them. For me, I spoke Malay with my Iban friend. What a shame.



In Iban, the word for "Malay" is "Laut". I was thinking on the origin of the term. I don't think it sounds any near to the Malay word for "sea". Also, I don't think Malays live near the sea. One possiblity is that the Ibans brought along the term from the origin in Sumatera a couple hundred years ago. Maybe they interacted with the Malays in Sumatera. Another possiblity that the Ibans must have referred them to the people who lives near the sea. The Malays and Melanaus in Sarawak generally live by the sea especially along the Kuching and Sibu division. So, I guess when the Malays first meet the Iban, they were introduced as people who lives near the sea. "Kami orang tinggal dekat laut sana." The Ibans might have nodded with partial confusion so they referred them as "laut" since the Malays said they live near the sea.



0 comments: